Thursday, December 24, 2009

A Year in Review


10. I swear, the number of times I’ve had to calmly explained Twitter to someone!

She has straightened hair w/ blunt fringe, is wearing a tidy pale blue and coral camisole with indigo jeans, gladiator sandals + cardigan. She never listens to a thing I’m saying, not even my really sophisticated points about how the very best use it as an artform and you become attached to their serialised obsessions as themes evolve and layer on top each other. And sometimes people on there are so funny and smart that you become deeply miserable for days!

Instead she just keeps saying “Twitter, I don’t even understand what it is, WHAT EVEN IS TWITTER!!!!’ Also she is already so addicted to Facebook and she just doesn’t need an addiction in her life. If I’m lucky she’ll wittily point out how she finds it so annoying how everyone always uses their status updates to say stuff like ‘I just had a coffee’ or ''Having a piece of cake' (giving examples under pressure is hard!) and how it’s so boring and she srsly doesn’t care if some random has just had a coffee.

Approximately as boring continually giving oxygen to the fiction that this thing that everyone always seems to be fake-complaining about actually happens at all. Look I guess my problem with the ‘Just had a coffee’ school of twitter criticism is that it’s, as year 10 Saba-clad Sopho might say, a generalisation. Twitter is a mirror of the company you keep and your taste and aspirations, so if anyone is following people that are actually saying that, then they just don’t know anyone that volunteers at FBi Radio.

As such, here are some websites I like:
www.wikipedia.com, www.smh.com.au and www.twitter.com/sophiebrahams

I find that it’s nice just to keep checking in? Delete a few duds, a few @'s. Wouldn't want my website to look too desperate if someone decides to have a browse.

[Prettttty prettty glad @replies are only visible to mutual followers. Most people understand the work that goes it to maintaining a friendship, but we wouldn’t want any of our special followers (@mariekehardy, @iamfauxpas @dailydoseofjess) to get turned off.]

In addition, I’ve noticed when hacking in to Nina’s Facebook that Status Updates generate like a milli replies. Facebook is such a captive audience of people who want you to like them, whereas everyone on Twitter is far too busy thinking of their next tweet to say anything but RT. (Did I miss the bit when everyone RT’d Facebook Status updates? Funnie!).

Having said that, Twitter has massively killed my urge to macro-blog. What could possibly sustain a whole long post when it’s probably not even good enough for one little cute tweet. It is sweet though, when you don’t feel like paying for a song, so you Google it and find it available for free for download on a music blog you can’t believe someone bothers to keep going? Thanks guy!



9.Chasms

So ol’ well-groomed-camisole will never join Twitter and everyone on there is a bit like me. It’s that whole connectivity paradox from the beginning of internet analysis- we are more and more connected yet further and further apart. The Internet aids in the process of finding like minded souls to reinforce your existence, so those who are alike become increasingly alike and everyone else seems more strangers. Malcolm Gladwell or something, right!

Having a shared cultural consciousness is really nice and useful, but it also makes me confused about what’s really going on out there. I keep thinking everyone I know is so fashionable, and then I have to go to a hens night or a mother’s day brunch with my family and I realise that I can’t very well wear ecru coloured socks with heavy black wedges. The words ‘Ed Hardy t-shirt’ are such a Twitter touchstone and imply such a specific meaning, I had to approach my new friendship with a guy who wears them for real like he's basically Aboriginal.

And then it’s a bit creepy when our mutual cultural literacy extends to political insight: you know I never thought I’d say this but I actually really respect Malcolm Turnbull, how amaze is Leigh Sales/Annabel Crabb, Tehran: tsk!

However, one thing I took away from recent smash-hit 'Away We Go' is that there are unknowably infinite categories of AltBros. Maya Rudolph and John Krasinski- just a couple of loveable kooks! But then they spend the whole moie meeting people who reside in even cleverer suburbs and have even more suffocating ideas about life.

This year in Sydney and on the Internet, we saw a noticeable factional split between those who find cute stuff PRETTY CUTE!!!, those who find it cute I guess and those who are like: ‘Rainbow paddlepops, popcorn, cupcakes and diabetes, so’. (Another example would be the varying degrees of patience each faction would have with Away We Go).

QUICK RORSCHACH TEST:


So should you stick with your tribe or escape your tribe? (or find an even more specific tribe?)

I feel like it's important to remember that maybe it just doesn’t matter whether you first heard Duck Sauce on a Ministry of Sound compilation or if you kinda know A-Trak! No one is judging if your Breton stripe T was your boyfriends mum’s from the 80’s or if you got it from Cotton On Body! Not everyone can know every single person in this month’s Cleo!

And ultimately, when you’re feeling a bit depressed about how good looking everyone seems in their profile picture and how loudly everyone is talking about a show you’ve been torrenting for weeks, you should just watch the whole series of A DIFFERENT SHOW real quick!

[side note: Do you think the constant fear of feeling like any minute now you’re going to be extremely out of touch is a good sign or a bad sign? Does that fear constantly drive me to stay in touch, or will I eventually tire of that feeling and the constant striving and slowly retreat?]

8. Going out v. 'Staying In'

Tough one. Now I do love soft clothes but ever since I got an iPhone there’s no real reason to bolt in the front door and check my emails- I may as well stay out at PARRRRTaaaaaaaaYYYY. But sometimes I feel sad knowing that I definitely won't have any emails when I (eventually ha!) get home. I’ve even read that one from the Piano Room while talking to some gal about Twitter.

I feel like sometimes you go out and it’s really good- people are nice and you get all these new ideas about everything. But then sometimes you are being so socially sparkly and successful in the debut of your new phrase ‘cottage industry’ that you start to loathe yourself. In summary, I just wish I had more overseas friends so their Friday (hectic email day) would coincide with slow email day Saturday.



8. So I guess this is my personality now. Ok.

I have had lots of grown up moments relating to friendship this year. As difficult it is for someone with my very specific pH level of neediness to know that someone out there just doesn’t really like me that much, it feels calming to know that I feel the same way, and maybe we can both just get on with our lives. (Pip if you are reading this, I’m sorry and I miss you xoxoxox)

7. Linen

Still scratchy huh!



6. It’s weird, sometimes I can’t remember who does and doesn’t have an iPhone

For example, does Marc Hendrick have an iPhone? A Blackberry? Hard to say!

5. News & Current Affairs

Victoria Bushfires, NSW Government something lol, Lady Gaga, Tiger Woods, A Decade in Review.

4. Literature

Dear open letter writing method of saying something instead of just saying it, hasn't it been a big year for you. Love, soie.

3. Clambake
........................................................................GUYS!!!!1

2. I think i'll do heaps jogging/ red wine/capsule wardrobe/ foster child in 2010.

1. Merriweather Post Pavilion

7 comments:

Rose said...

Culturally relevant blog!! Srsly, amazing.

Nina said...

www.twitter.com/sopholol is no longer the correct URL.

sophie said...

Good practical tip! Thanks Nina.

Shag said...

So glad Movestill is back.

Emma said...

Now I feel REALLY out of touch!

hianta said...

this is incredible

Little Kell said...

Argh, so right: Me post merriweather post pavilion = never the same. Fantabulous summation.