Friday, January 18, 2008

art lesson



Beautiful Losers director Aaron Rose has curated a show of works by Corita Kent for Monster Children Gallery

Kent was a nun with the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, and she ran the convent's art department. She exhibited her first silkscreen print in 1951 after graduating with a masters in Art History from the University of Southern California, and her sterigraphs are often considered precursers to Warhol's pop prints. She left the convent in 1968 for focus on her art practise, and produced an amazing body of work before she died of cancer in 1986.

"I am not brave enough to not pay my income tax and risk going to jail. But I can say rather freely what I want to say with my art."



Rose is giving a talk at Monster Children (20 Burton St, Darlinghurst) tomorrow at 1pm, and I can't wait to hear more about this remarkable woman.

No comments: