Wednesday, May 21, 2008

jew gots ta be kiddin me



So at the moment we’re learning a routine to ‘Creator’ by Santogold (pronounce Sant to rhyme with aunt or can’t, not to rhyme with ant like santa. I learnt the hard way) in dance class, and it reminded me of something that happened a few weeks back.

We were at a dinner party when a friend started telling us the incredulous story of her hairdresser who didn’t know what Jews were. “That's humourous,” we all that thought and our ears perked up. As she continued, it became more and more apparent that this hairdresser guy was legit in his ignorance. He asked our friend questions about the holocaust and Hitler with a deadpan expression on his face. She told him about the concentration camps and his response was “OH MY GOD! That’s soooo sad!!!” (when really he was thinking “Why would I be interested in other cultures? I'm only in my 20’s babe!”).

So we all ‘just had a discuss’ for a few minutes and were blown away that a grown Australian man could have absolutely no idea who a Jewish person was.

At this point another friend said "I know it’s just so weird. I was talking to someone today and they didn't know who Santogold was!"

Santogold- Creator

No comments: